Weekend Fun

Last weekend we had a wonderful, fun, friends and family-filled time. On Friday night, our friends, the Parkers, came over. I've known Jared since 1995 when we met at a World Changers project in Houston, Texas. My junior year of high school, my best friend, Sarah, and I drove down to Chapel Hill to visit her sister and also to visit Jared. Then God brought our paths back together at another World Changers project in Peoria, Illinois in 1997. And my freshman year at Elon I drove to Chapel Hill each Sunday to go to church with his family. His parents "adopted" me and I enjoyed many a Sunday lunch at their home. Jared even took my sister to her senior prom. We have a cool history together.

Two years ago, when I posted on Facebook that we were moving to Rock Hill for Jack to be the BCM Minister at Winthrop, Jared messaged me to say that they lived in Lake Wylie a nearby town and that his wife, Melissa, was the Catholic Campus ministry director at Winthrop! How crazy is that?!?! And not only that, but Jared and Melissa have two boys, Drew and Sam, who are the same ages at Caleb and Noah.

In the past two years, we've hung out a handful of times and we have seriously enjoyed it so much and our boys have really bonded. So, now we've decided to schedule a monthly Blankenship-Parker date! Friday night we grilled out burgers and okra- so good! And the boys played in the backyard until dark. Then we built a fire in our new firepit and made s'mores. I didn't get any pictures, but it sure was fun.

Then on Saturday we packed a picnic lunch and went to Andrew Jackson State Park. Earlier in the week, Caleb and I learned a little bit about this 7th president and about his home here in SC. So, we decided to go check it out. I also knew there were several letterboxes hidden there and we love letterboxing. If you don't know about letterboxing, it is basically a treasure hunt. People hide boxes, filled with a logbook and a stamp, all over the country and then post clues on a website. When you find the box, you put your team's stamp in the logbook and you put the box's stamp in your own personal book. We absolutely love it. We found two boxes as we explored the park, had a picnic and then explored the museum about Andrew Jackson. It was a super fun day.

Then when we got home, we cooked hotdogs in our firepit and then roasted marshmallows and carved jack-o-lanterns. What a great weekend we had!

All the boys and their hats

 The girls and their pigtails


Decoding our letterbox clue






Dressed in Colonial clothes



 My awesome kiddos

The schoolhouse

Josiah in the Dunce hat.... appropriate, don't you think? ;)

Caleb's Iron Man Jack-o-Lantern

 Josiah's Wolverine Jack-o-Lantern

Noah's Hulk Jack-o-Lantern




Comments

Popular Posts