Triple Bunk Beds and Hardwood Floors

We decided that when we move Eden out of her crib, we'll move her into a queen sized bed so that when guests come, she can bunk with her brothers and they have somewhere to sleep. That means all three boys will be in a room together. How do you get three boys in one relatively small room? Triple bunk bed! I found these plans on Pinterest at the Handmade Dress. To help spread out the cost, we decided to go ahead and move the boys now and get that cost paid for before we move Eden this summer.

And while we were moving all of the furniture in the bedrooms, we decided to investigate the floors underneath the carpet. We found hardwood! Our awesome landlord gave us his blessing to tear out the carpet (and man was it gross underneath!!!!!) and we cleaned up the beautiful floors underneath.

Yesterday Jack built the bunks and we let the boys paint their bed the color they wanted out of the bedding. They loved painting them! Oh, and let me tell you a great story about the bedding. We bought two sets of the bedding 3 years ago at Target when Josiah was born and Caleb and Noah moved in together. I love the bedding. But Target no longer makes it. I figured someone had to be selling a used set on ebay- problem was I couldn't remember the name of the pattern. Then I remembered that a year  or two ago my college friend Courtney had posted a picture on her blog and I remembered noticing the same bedding in the background. I sent Courtney a message to see if she knew the name of the pattern, and she told me they were getting ready to change out that bedding and graciously offered to send me her set!! How awesome is that?! So, now we have three matching sets all ready for a triple bunk.

Today Jack's parents came to help us get the bunk bed assembled and built a closet organizer (based off of this design found on pinterest). Right now, at 7:30 the boys are in their beds. They asked to go to bed at 6:45! Figuring that if I said yes they'd be up before the sun tomorrow, I let them go play their leapsters in their beds.

The end result of a week's work is, what I think, an incredibly awesome bedroom for three boys!

The Before:




The After:


The closet organizer: shoe storage, individual hampers and shelves for extra clothes storage.

 (we painted the posts between the beds the same color as the wall so it looks like they are floating!)

Side by Sides:


Comments

rmfujino said…
Freakin awesome.
This makes me wanna be a Blankenship.. wait! ;)
ShakyraG said…
Your husband changed some things and I love it! What dimensions did he use? His looks very different from the original plans and if you dont mind I would love to know exactly what I would need to get my bunks this same way and an estimated cost. I am moving my 3 into one room to save space.
Carrie said…
ShakyraG, thank you! The boys love them! We followed the plans almost exactly. If you look on the Homemade Dress site again, you'll see there are two types of beds. We did the "boys" corner set. The dimensions are the same as in the plans. The only thing we changed was instead of making the rails out of plywood and carving into shapes, we just did regular rails out of 2x4's. Total cost including paint and hardware was $200.
Carrie said…
ShakyraG, thank you! The boys love them! We followed the plans almost exactly. If you look on the Homemade Dress site again, you'll see there are two types of beds. We did the "boys" corner set. The dimensions are the same as in the plans. The only thing we changed was instead of making the rails out of plywood and carving into shapes, we just did regular rails out of 2x4's. Total cost including paint and hardware was $200.
Jennifer said…
This is just what I was looking for! We have three boys sharing a room and had a big bunk bed set that took up too much room so I've been looking around for triple bunk bed plans. This is perfect. I love what you did with them! We also pulled up the carpet in their room! Beautiful hardwoods underneath as well! I also noticed your boys names one Caleb and one Josiah. Well my youngest son is Kaleb Josiah :) thought that was neat! Thank you again!
Mommy Charland said…
Was wondering if you would send me the plans to my email, I left a comment, or could you give me the direct link to it, I haven't got the plans and we are entering in with foster care and need some bunk beds for the children and this would be AWESOME!!! my email is mommycharland@gmail.com
Carrie said…
Mommy Charland,
We used the plans from The Homemade Dress. They cost $1.99 to download. We made the green set (there are two variations). You can find the plans here:
http://www.thehandmadedress.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=20&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54

Thanks for commenting!
Unknown said…
Love these beds! I saw this on pinterest and its funny I live in Kentucky now but I went to high school in Fort mill and if one day, God willing we will come back to Tega Cay!!
Monica said…
I have had these bunks pinned for a long time now, knowing that we wanted to build them when it was time for my youngest to move out of the crib. That time has now come and I'm having trouble finding the plans. The link to purchase the plans from the blog they were on is broken. I emailed her to ask how to purchase them and got no response. Can you help me out at all? I'm pretty sure my husband and I can figure them out without the plans but am curious about the heights of each level and if the bed boxes are made with 2x6s or 2x8s. Any helpful hints on how to purchase the plans or a building material list would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Unknown said…
i love this colorful triple bunk bed. it's great & stunning!
Unknown said…
I would love these plan ls for our three boys is that a possibility? Your bunk bed plan is the best IV seen and I believe it would save us so much space
Amy Pauley said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
This is awesome!! Can I get the plans for this anywhere. I really want to make this.
Anonymous said…
please make a new link your girls beds are my girls favs how did this work out in teen years
Unknown said…
The link to download the plans for the triple bunk are now broken, and the owner doesn't maintain the site. ):
Jennyn86 said…
To give you a snag, I'll tell you that the only thing that was uncomfortable was making the beds, well, the top bed specifically. To make the top bed I had to climb on a stool. But it paid off for me. Today there are quilts with a design that will solve your life. You can see them here: Bedding for bunk beds
As I told you, the area in front of the bunk was left free for the children to play. A low shelf with toy boxes and a large rug covered the space, it was all we needed. So in my case, the bunk bed was a good choice. You have to know that it is not for life because they continue to grow, and there comes a time when you will have to return to the traditional room configuration. Especially since they themselves will decide that they no longer want to sleep in a bunk bed, or that they no longer want to sleep together in the same bedroom. But you can use it for many years. So from our experience, we say YES to bunk beds.
For more information
Best Twin Platform Bed with Storage Reviews
Rules for Choosing a Twin Size Platform Bed
Some Twin Platform Bed with Storage You Should Know
Why Should You Own A Zinus Gerard Faux Leather Upholstered Platform Bed Frame?
How to Choose a Twin Platform Bed by Construction and Design Style
Benefits of Purchasing a Twin Platform Bed for a Small Bedroom
Beds – contemporary and traditional
Best Twin Platform Bed on Wheels Review
All You Need to Know About Bunk Beds
Twin Platform Beds for Small Spaces
Samiksha Sharma said…
Thanks for sharing this post and visit bunk bed for kids
Good Blog, Such a Nice Content, Informative for Readers Keep Posting.
Modular office furniture mumbai
Loose furniture
Thanks for sharing, information is really useful, keep posting.
Best office furniture

Popular Posts