Field Trip

I am loving homeschooling. It was an adjustment those first few days, but once we got a rhythm going it's been smooth sailing. I love watching Caleb learn and he's already amazing me with his ability to comprehend this 1st grade curriculum. I love that Bible is apart of our curriculum and I get to spend time each day memorizing verses with him and learning about the Bible. We've already learned about the Jewish calendar, how the Bible was written on scrolls by scribes, how the Bible is made of 66 smaller books and tomorrow we'll talk about how God is the author of the Bible using human hands to write His words. In the coming weeks he'll learn the names of all 66 books and the Greek alphabet! What a blessing this journey has already been for me.

Labor Day weekend we took our first field trip. We were going to go on Monday, but the weather was calling for rain and so we moved our field trip to Saturday. And of course a field trip is always more fun with friends! The Chambers, our fellow homeschoolers, came with us on our field trip to Windy Hill Apple Orchard. We love the Chambers, as I am sure you can tell from previous posts. They are our family here. In fact, when I was telling one of the college students about Josiah's birthday I said, "We're just having a small party with family." And she said, "And the Chambers." Yes, and the Chambers. And so, of course they came on our first field trip.

We spent the morning at Windy Hill Orchard. There were chickens that the kids got to feed and apparently some baby piggies, too (Jack took the boys to see them). We picked about a bushel of apples. Jack lifted the boys up into the trees to pick them. Then I taught a lesson about trees and we read a book about the seasons of the apple tree. All the kids painted pictures of an apple tree in winter, spring, summer and fall. Messy and fun! We finished up with a picnic lunch with apple cider donuts for dessert (sooooooo yummy! I could have had a dozen!!). It was a fun day!

During the field trip, Phud told us the South Carolina football game was on a channel that they don't get. But we did! So of course Jack and I said, Come on over! Later that night the Chambers descended! The kids had a great time playing while we watched football and I got this great picture of the five big kids on the futon watching a movie. Good times, great friends!



Josiah was not a fan of the chickens!








Comments

Popular Posts