Deep Conversations

Jack prayed with Caleb before bed, as always and then, as always, I sang with him. And as I was about to leave his room he asked me this question, "Are you going to go to heaven before me?" I was a bit taken aback at such a question out of nowhere and I asked him, "What do you mean?" He said to me, "I mean are you going to die before me? Like when I am a pop-pop are you going to be in heaven and I'll still be here?"

Such a question at bedtime! I told him that, yes, that was probably how it would happen and he got really teary-eyed and asked me why we had to die. And so I reminded him of the Gospel. We talked about sin and the death that comes because we live in a sin-filled world and because we ourselves are sinners. And then I asked him if he could remember why Jesus came. "To die for our sins," he said. And I told him that because of Jesus, death would not be the end. That because of Jesus we would live forever in heaven with Him. I reminded him of the resurrection and how Jesus defeated death. And then I told him that the Bible says that in order to receive the grace and forgiveness offered at the cross, one day he'd repent, pray and give his life to Christ. And that everyone who did that would live forever in heaven with Jesus. I told him that I was just a little girl about 10 years old when I made that decision. And that his daddy was not too  much older than he is right now. And then Caleb asked if he could talk to daddy, too. So, I went and got Jack.

When we got back into his room Caleb said, "Mommy, while you were gone I prayed what you said." I said, "You did?" And he said, "Yes. Want to hear what I said? Dear God, please forgive me for my sins. I believe in you and I promise I will never, ever forget what Jesus did on the cross. I love you, God. Amen." At this point, I was quite emotional, although I tried to hide it from him. Jack took over talking with Caleb about the Gospel and about his own decision to follow Christ.

Caleb prays out loud every night after we tuck him in and leave his room. He doesn't like us to hear and I always wish I could make out what he says on the monitor, but I can't. But that night, Caleb asked us if we wanted to know what he prayed every night. "Dear God, Please help me have no bad dreams and not be afraid of shadows. And please let no one come into my room while I am sleeping, except Mommy when she feeds Eden. And God, you're the greatest guy and the most extraordinariest God. I believe in you and I love you. Amen." Then he said, "Mommy, I know what extraordinariest means. It means the most amazing."

We kissed him good night and as we sat down in the living room Jack said, "That was the most awesome thing ever." And it was. I love watching him understand the gospel. I love watching God working in his young heart, calling Caleb to himself. What a privilege it is to be a part of his faith journey, to get to disciple our own son. There really is nothing better. Nothing.

Comments

Jennie Fisher said…
So precious. Melts my heart Carrie. What an amazing blessing. Thank you for letting us be a part of it. :)
Amanda said…
Wow, thanks for sharing. Yall are doing an awesome job with these kids, no wonder God blessed you with so many! :)

Popular Posts