Birthday Party

Saturday we had Josiah's 2nd Birthday party. It was a wonderful day. The weather was beautiful and the breezes from Hurricane Irene helped keep the mosquitoes away! Our families were able to come to town for the event. My parents and my sister and her three boys came as well as Jack's parents (we missed Uncle Andrew, though!). And we invited the Chambers (our friends who are like family) and our dear friend Megan, who Josiah adores. The kids enjoyed playing in the backyard for most of the party. We enjoyed a spread of burgers, hotdogs, homemade macaroni and cheese, fruit, grilled corn on the cob and of course, birthday cake!

Speaking of birthday cake... I baked the cake on Friday- two layers and they cooled on the counter while I paid bills. As I went into the kitchen to ice them, to my shock and horror a huge chunk had been removed from one of the layers!

Caleb confessed that he did it. After I calmed down (and in the spirit of full disclosure, I did lose it for a few minutes), I learned that he first tried just a small crumb and in his words "But it was so good I just couldn't help myself! I had to have more!" He lost his TV privileges for a few days and hopefully learned an important lesson about resisting temptation. And I set to baking another cake! But all worked out in the end and I think Josiah's Lightning McQueen cake turned out great. 

The party was wonderful... my favorite part came as Josiah was opening presents. When he opened his first gift, he wanted to play immediately and got upset when I took it away so he could open more. It didn't take him long to realize that he had a whole pile of presents to open. About halfway through the opening of gifts he threw his hands up in the air and exclaimed with much joy, "BIRTHDAY!" As if to say, "Oh my gosh birthdays are so awesome!!" It was such a moment of pure joy and innocence. I love how he was able to express so clearly how happy his was, even with a limited 2 year old vocabulary! Even now it makes me smile. Of course, we did not get it on video, so I pray it is forever seared into my memory. What a sweet wonderful day it was!

Caleb and Hayden

Baseball in the backyard

The final cake

We got him this bike for his birthday.

Owen and Josiah

The spread

The kids

 The precious birthday boy!

Comments

Popular Posts