Laundry Room Re-Do

We may not own this house, but it is still our home. And as such, we have tried to make it fit our lifestyle. We really do love this house, even if it is just a rental. God so clearly provided this house at exactly the right time and it has been perfect. That being said, there are a few things that I have really struggled with in the year and a half that we've lived here. One of those was the laundry room. First, it is in a closet on the back porch (which used to be a car port). So, I have to go outside to do laundry. Not so awesome in January. But nothing I can do about that. Secondly, partly because it is outside-ish and because at some point there was water damage, it is nasty dirty. Part of the drywall is rotted and falling off, the floor is damaged and dirty. Really, if a clean sock fell out of the dryer onto the floor I felt like I needed to wash it again. And thirdly, it was so unorganized. Can't change the location of the laundry room, but we decided to give it a good facelift and re-organize it.

Before Pictures (I am a little embarrassed to post these first three of  my completely messy, unorganized room)




And now these three are after we emptied it out. You can see the damage and nastiness.



Jack tore out the damaged drywall and put in new. We had paint left from painting the house when we moved in, so we used that to paint. I took out the shelved and painted them crisp clean white. We put in new vinyl flooring. There was already pegboard but no hooks. So, I painted it blue and added hooks for organization. We threw stuff away. We cleaned. I organized. Back in April I bought a sewing machine at a yard sale. When I was a little girl, my great aunt, Toss, taught me how to sew basic things. But that was a long time ago. However, I really want to try to learn to sew again. My mother-in-law is an incredible seamstress and I know she'll help me, too. I found a tutorial on Pinterest to turn diaper boxes into lined storage bins. It involved spray adhesive to put material on the outside and sewing a liner for the inside. I was nervous, but I figured something for the laundry room would be a great thing to practice my sewing on! I think they turned out great. The sewing machine and I still have a long way to go. Our relationship is still quite shaky, but I have high hopes! Anyway, the laundry room turned out great. I am really very happy with it! Here are the after pictures:







These are the boxes I made!

Here are the side-by-side pictures:


 



And a different view of the two side areas and the pegboard walls.




Comments

Popular Posts